The Opera House in Timișoara becomes a ballroom for one evening, as we hold the 4th edition of the Timisoara Viennese Ball on 26 November 2015.
The building of the Opera House started in 1871 following the plans of Viennese architects Helmer and Fellner, famous in the former Austro- Hungarian Empire for the theatres made in cities such as Budapest, Vienna, Odessa. It was completed in 1875, partially funded by the City Administration. In its first form, the building housed an auditorium (now the Theatre and Opera Hall), an inn surroundes by symmetrically-arranged premises.
The building was destroyed by two major fires. After the second fire, in 1920, only the wings remained intact. The reconstruction was done by architect Duiliu Mark, with the main facade and the auditorium rebuilt in Byzantine style, typical Romanian architecture of those times. It should also be noted that interior frescoes made by the painter Kiriakoff reproduce figures in the history and tales of the Romanian people.
The auditorium of the National Theatre is built in a “Italian” classic box style. It has a capacity of 600 seats in the stalls, balconies and loggias, placed forward in relation to the stage.